Compounded Chloramphenicol (Chloromycetin, Viceton)
Chloramphenicol is an antibiotic used in animals to a variety of infections. It is commonly used to treat diseases caused by tick bites such as Rocky Mountain spotted fever. It is also used to treat brain and eye infections that have been resistant to other antibiotics. This medication should start having effects within 1-2 hours after staring the treatment regimen however, full effects of the medication may not be seen for several days. Chloramphenicol does require a prescription from your veterinarian in order to be dispensed and is given on three times a day dosing schedule. You and your veterinarian should discuss if this is the best option for your pet.
Chloramphenicol is given orally and can be compounded into the desired strength and flavor that best suits your pet. We compound this medication into suspensions and capsules. Chloramphenicol is best given with food. Missing doses can cause the drug to no work properly. It is highly important to finish the entire course of the medication even if your pet is feeling better. This medication is considered a hazardous drug and may be harmful to individuals that touch the medication if it is not prescribed to them. Therefore, gloves should be worn while administering the medication to your animal. In addition, pregnant women should use caution when handling this medication as it may contribute to a higher risk for birth defects. Chloramphenicol should be given as instructed on your prescription. If you miss a dose do not double up on the medication. Wait until the next dose is due and follow the normal dosing schedule as directed.
The most common side effects of this medication are GI upset, vomiting, and diarrhea. Feline patients are more susceptible to more serious side effects such as liver damage and bone marrow suppression. If your animal starts experiencing a loss of appetite or any bleeding, contact your veterinarian as these may be signs of more serious issues. Overdoses of this medication can be serious. If you suspect an overdose, contact your veterinarian or poison control.